The architectural structure of the Maiden's Tower (Kız Kulesi) dates back to 341 BC. This cape  which was an extension of the Bosphorous straits at the time (there are rumours that it was a peninsula before) used to be called "vus". At this date  after being a mausoleum built on marble columns for the wife of Commander Chares  a chain was pulled from its location at Sarayburnu to the island where the tower was located  in 410 BC  to make it a customs area controlling the entries and exits of the Bosphorous strait. At 1110 AD  the first apparent structure (tower) was built by the Emperor Manuel Comnenos. 
This structure  which was built as a defence tower  was named Arcla  meaning "Small Tower". Although there is no clear information about this structure  it is believed to be close to its current dimensions. The tower  which was used for defence purposes during the conquest of İstanbul  was used for very different purposes after 1453. During the Ottoman period  it was used rather as a show platform  than a defence team and the Mehteran team cited the nevbet (a national anthem) accompanied by the canons placed on the island. The structure  which was damaged during the earthquake of 1509  was rebuilt later. Furthermore  it acted as a lighthouse with the lights that were added. The structure that was built then included a tower and a castle  and a cistern was built in it. The tower that burnt down with the fire from the light  in 1719  was repaired again in 1725 by the Head Architect of the city  Nevşehirli Damat İbrahim Paşa. The tower section was changed a little  and a glass chalet was added to the top  and a lead dome was placed on it  and the building was built with wood. It was converted into a quarantine hospital in order for the cholera epidemic not to spread to the city in 1830. It was started to be used as a defence castle again with the decline of the Ottoman Empire  and it is equipped with canons. The epigraph bearing the signature of Sultan Mahmut the Second was placed on the marble above the gate  with the handwriting of the famous calligrapher Rakim. In 1857  a light is added again  and in 1920  an automatic system is introduced as the light of the lighthouse. It is thought of transferring this building to private sector as of 1992  and several institutions such as the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality  Üsküdar Municipality  Chamber of Architects Turing  Ulusoy Group of Companies  etc. develop various mediatic projects...